[hpsdr] Red links in the wiki....

Kevin Purcell kevinpurcell at pobox.com
Wed May 6 15:40:33 PDT 2009

On May 6, 2009, at 3:09 PM, Richard Ames wrote:

>> I think the concept of a wiki was created with the purpose of
>> building a public encyclopedia or encyclopedic collection of
>> information.
>
> agree

I think you are confusing wikipedia with a more general wiki

Original the wiki (actually wikiwiki) software was created to
generate a repository of information through discussion in a group
context. It's a general system for creating shared documents.
Wikipedia is just one use (and not the most common one).

See the History and Characteristics sections in this article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_wikis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WikiWikiWeb

and the original Portland Pattern Respository wiki at c2.com in
addition to archiving software patterns also includes discussion
about those patterns.

http://c2.com/
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors

particularly comment on the difference between Chat and Threaded
discussion

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ChatMode
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ThreadMode

That said, Ward has never liked it that much. But that thread mode
page is a good example of ThreadMode discussions.

BTW, RecentChanges pages are the way to check for changes (not to
manually browse individual discussion pages).

The MediaWiki the discussion page is more discussion of the contents
of the page. It could be used as people have suggested but it would
be more logical to put disputes about page contents there. Take a
look at wikipedia to see how these pages are used.

Email reflectors are good for dynamic discussion but they're not very
structured. And often not well archived but they do get the word out.
A combination of email and wiki is best but that takes some discipline.

So it's not an easy choice which is best ... it all depends.

And I'll go back to lurking now.

-...-
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell