[hpsdr] WHY WHY?

Joseph Teichman jteich3 at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:39:37 PDT 2009

I have been only following this community for a very short period of time. I
also listed to a recent teamspeak (it may have been the last one) and was
perplexed by the constant questioning of the person that wanted that the
wiki should be opened up.
This seemed part of the pattern of people holding things close to themselves
and trying to maintain control.

I think that there needs to be more awareness of the importance of community
and you foster the creation and growth of a community through openness.

People want to help and contribute, you should allow the wiki to be open so
that anyone can do it. If they are frusterated because there is red tape or
they have to jump through hoops to get started, they will take there ideas,
efforts and energy elsewhere.

Also, on the hardware front, there really needs to be more emphasis on the
openness of the hardware. Not all of it is available under the OHL. I would
not really care to contribute to a project that is restricted under the NCL.
If I am going to contribute, I would want to only do it to a project that is
really open and can benefit everyone. Also, like I mentioned in a previous
post, if there were a full set of boards available under the OHL, I think
that there would be much better availability, which would encourage and
enable more people to contribute and develop this project.

In short, there is a need for openness, openness & more openness.

Joseph
KD1ZZ