[hpsdr] OHL v. NCL (was "WHY WHY")

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Tue May 12 06:18:31 PDT 2009

Hi Joseph --

I think it's important to understand one of the reasons why some of the
HPSDR boards are NCL instead of OHL.  I'm not speaking for any
developer, or for TAPR; but as the author of the OHL and NCL, I'm
familiar with the issues involved.

The basic problem is that unlike software, each copy of hardware has a
real cost -- I like to say, "electrons are free, but atoms are expensive."

Boards like those in the HPSDR stack typically require more than $1K of
development cost for prototype boards and parts.  When it's time for
production, quantity has a huge bearing on cost.  The price break at
each quantity level is usually very significant, and this applies to the
board, to the components, and to the assembly cost.

That means that someone who wants to manufacture these boards needs to
(a) cover up-front engineering costs; (b) maximize volume to get the
best quantity discounts; and (c) minimize the volume uncertainty, to
reduce the risk of being left with unsold inventory.  Some sort of
exclusivity during the initial production run is the usual way to
accomplish these goals and control the financial risk.

For example, assume TAPR has ordered parts to make 500 units of a board
based on a non-binding "expression of interest" (orders ahead of
customer commitment are necessary because of long lead times on some
components).  If someone comes along in the mean time and announces that
they will offer the board as well, that could split the market.  Two bad
things can happen as a result: (a) customers might pay more because
neither vendor gets enough quantity for reasonable pricing -- or worse,
neither vendor is able to deliver because the smaller volume makes the
pricing impractical; and (b) TAPR could be left holding the bag for
excess inventory.

Given the cost of some of the HPSDR projects, and ~500 unit quantities
for most, there's a lot of money at stake.  As a result, it's only
prudent to require some sort of protection against "cannibalizing" the
market while that initial inventory is on the books.

The NCL is one way to accomplish this.  It allows publication of the
design information to the community, while protecting the manufacturer
against cannibalization.  (There are other methods, such as an OHL-based
dual-licensing model, which could have the same effect; I personally
don't think the model matters as much as achieving the goal.)

Nothing says that "NCL is forever."  My understanding -- and again, I am
not speaking for any developer, or for TAPR -- is that at least some of
the developers plan to convert their projects from NCL to OHL licensing
once the initial TAPR production is sold.  (And, let me make it clear,
developers are not *required* to bring HPSDR projects only to TAPR --
there's nothing saying TAPR is the sole HPSDR manufacturing partner.)

Of course, developers may choose to use the NCL for other reasons,
perhaps simply to ensure that the project stays in the hands of the
amateur community.  In the end, what the NCL really does is give the
developer discretion in deciding to whom, if anyone, he wants to grant
the rights for commercial production.  Given the financial
considerations in open hardware production that just don't exist in the
software world, that doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I hope this provides at least some background in the issues around
turning open hardware into real products that people can use.

73,
John
----