[hpsdr] Why?

Chris Down Chris.Down at alcor.co.uk
Wed May 13 01:34:46 PDT 2009

Unfortunately this explanation lacks any detail as to what led Phil C to
to take such drastic action. Would it be possible for someone to explain
the sequence of events that led to this unfortunate and unnecessary
situation. As I said in my previous email, I am not taking any sides (I
have never had any contact with Phil C), it is just that a lot of people
  have invested time and money into the HPSDR project.

I have been passively following this project for a while and
contemplating getting involved in the project, however after recent
events I have some concerns.

Who makes the decisions on the direction of the project?

Do any of these people have any commercial interests that could
influence the direction of the project? If so this should be stated
publicly on the web site.

Who owns and controls the domain name openhpsdr.org? Unfortuantely the
owner as opted to protect the details by using a private registration proxy.

What safeguards are in place to prevent a similar situation occurring in
future?

How many people have administration rights to the wiki and website and
who are these people?

Do you intend to allow registered members to edit wiki pages?

Perhaps the answers to the above should be documented as an overview of
the project administration structure on a wiki page.

Is there anything that can be done to reconcile the parties involved in
this? Perhaps people on both sides have acted impulsively and said and
done things that with hindsight could have been presented differently
and maybe now is the time to admit that, shake hands and move forward in
the interests of the community.

Sorry to ask so many questions and I know we would all rather be dealing
with technical issues. However I feel it is important to understand why
this situation occurred and what we as a community can do to prevent it
happening again and also prevent a split in the community.

Regards

Chris G8MXW