[hpsdr] THANKS DON AE5K

Erik N Basilier ebasilier at cox.net
Wed May 13 18:52:49 PDT 2009

I am rather new to this group, don't know anyone involved, but invested in
hpsdr hardware. I am probably not unique in my situation. From this
perspective I am of course very concerned about the recent events. Not
having been involved in the birth of hpsdr, I have to think that it would
have been helpful if those that were could have early on taken more positive
action to deal head-on with the rather likely prospect of conflict between
commercial and non-commercial interests. But that is easy for me to say as
an outsider and in hindsight. I won't point the finger at anybody, and I
recognize that a great deal of good work has been done in defining licenses
with the objective of preventing future conflicts. I do see it as a positive
that commercial product is available, and were it not for the fun of
constructing equipment, I might have chosen to go with it myself. (I am not
a fan of transceivers that require a PC to work, and if I ever add transmit
capability to my hpsdr, it will be for the fun of doing it rather than
wanting to use it. If I regret anything about choosing the Atlas-based
equipment, it is the bulk of it, and I hope there will be an Atlas Lite and
a Pandora Lite.)

Going forward, I don't want to see either the commercial or the
non-commercial entities going away, and I think it would be in the interest
of most to have peace between the camps. Rather than keep dealing with the
issues from a generic perspective (license formulations) maybe it would be
appropriate to have some more specific agreements signed between the now
predominating commercial entity and openhpsdr. Some kind of give and take
about what kinds of products each side may offer in the future, so as not to
step on the other side's toes. If I were in the commercial camp I probably
wouldn't like it if the non-commercial side were to offer ready-to-use and
cheaper versions of my commercial products. If I were in the non-commercial
camp, my natural constituency would probably be those that like to build and
experiment, and I might want to give up aspirations of selling ready-to-use
equipment if I were guaranteed the right to make kits including designs
contributed to by engineers on the commercial side. Of course one cannot
just focus on one commercial entity, but licenses must be used to prevent
conflict with other commercial entities in the future.

An obvious problem with my reasoning in the previous paragraph is the fact
that hpsdr (as I now understand it) is not an organized entity. Perhaps it
needs to become organized, with officers elected and empowered to make
contracts with commercial entities. I know nothing about the politics of
TAPR, but at least it is an organized entity. From my naive standpoint, it
seems that hpsdr could become organized by merging into TAPR. That may be a
really bad idea, I just don't know.

73,
Erik K7TV