[hpsdr] WG: Mercury as spectrum analyzer?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun May 17 18:03:59 PDT 2009

Re: [hpsdr] Mercury as spectrum analyzer?Hi Dieter,

  You are correct that John Melton's GHPSDR software  for Linux

  < http://javaguifordttsp.blogspot.com/ >

  provides both a conventional and 0-55MHz bandscope. We will shortly be releasing a simple Windows console program called K.I.S.S. Konsole (KK) that also provides dual bandscopes.  At the moment KK displays 0-55MHz in one chunk but in the future, with suitable software additions, we intend  to display any centre frequency and bandwidth within this range.

  Using KK as a base there is also very good potential to use it with Penelope as a spectrum analyser and tracking generator.

  I do have a breadboard prototype of Cyclops working and have a volunteer ready to lay out the PCB.  We are presently evaluating the possibility of using a TV tuner IC as a single chip spectrum analyser prior to going ahead with the PCB layout.

  The main issue I have with Cyclops is leakage round the 1.03GHz first IF filters - this will need some careful PCB layout/screening. We are also investigating removing images caused by the filter leakage in software.

  More projects than time available at the moment!

  73's Phil...VK6APH