[hpsdr] ozy

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Mon May 25 10:46:11 PDT 2009

>  Ozy was different color to indicate the limit availability.  It has
> been this way since the boards built boards sold out at TAPR.  Since the
> individuals posting to the list prefer black, I have change it to black,
> but be aware, the PCB is available and you can build a single boards for
> personal use, but no commercial vendor has been named by the board author.

Fortunately, the parts list is complete, and parts are readily available
from Digikey.  I just checked stock on the Cypress USB microcontroller
and the Altera FPGA.  A subset can be built onto the board if you don't
need the SDR-1000 control functions and just want to use it to run
Mercury/ Penelope/ Alexaires/ Pennywhistle.

Also, under the NCL anyone can make 10 units per calendar year for
personal use or to distribute at actual cost (no profit), so a group buy
for parts could be organized and the Gerber files submitted for a build
of 10.  Finally, you can contact the licensor (Phil, N8VB) and request
permission to make more than 10. It costs nothing to ask!

I hand built an Ozy a few days ago and, after some interesting times and
with a little help from others via email, it booted and it is now
running my Mercury/Penelope board set.  Not as convenient as buying one
ready-made, of course, but do-able with a soldering iron and some patience.

73,

Lyle KK7P