[hpsdr] Penelope typical output power

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Sun Nov 15 08:05:57 PST 2009

I'd like to thank Graham, KE9H for being so patient with my questions
yesterday, concerning the output levels I am seeing from my Penelope board.

It would appear that my results are fairly typical. I can produce over 500
mW up to 20M. At that point, max power starts to drop off gradually. At 10M,
I get about 350 mW out, and at 6M between 120 and 150 mW.

It would appear that the single-stage output amplifier runs into gain
bandwidth product limits at the higher frequencies. The output stage for
Hermes has been redesigned to distribute that gain between two stages of
OPA2674. Perhaps if that approach pans out, an optional "daughterboard" or
something similar could be done for Penelope to help equalize the available
output across it's frequency range.

73,
Bruce N1RX