[hpsdr] Disabling 10 MHz clock on Penelope

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Sun Nov 22 04:50:45 PST 2009

> I do have the 10 MHz module power jumper removed on Mercury to disable
> the on board 10 MHz osc.  However, I have not seen that there is an
> equivalent jumper on Penelope to disconnect power the 10 MHz osc
> module similarly.

When using Excalibur as the 10 MHz clock source, one should disable the
corresponding oscillators on Mercury and Penelope.

It would appear that the TAPR production Penelope boards do -not- have a
0-Ohm resistor or SIP jumper to interrupt power to the on-board 10 MHz can.
Looking at the Penelope board, one can see a small trace leading from a
through-hole to pin 4 of the on-board 10 MHz oscillator. This trace could be
cut to disable the on-board clock. A jumper could be added across this gap,
to re-enable this oscillator, if ever desired in the future.

Does anyone see a problem with this method?

Bruce N1RX