[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:39:59 PST 2009

HPSDR colleagues --

I am proposing a new software project called Athena.  This project has
several goals.  First to collect and document the hardware to software
connections and define software to software connections via UDP/TCP
protocol.  This will make a HPSDR software development kit (SDK).  Lots
of code pieces exist but they are hard to find and hard to use without
documentation.

I envision this code packaged as a software library.  I would like to
organize as much of the Operating System differences into these library
modules so that code potentially could be used on multiple platforms.

It is hoped that his project will encourage more programmers to develop
component programs for HPSDR hardware. The intent is to create a stable
consistent platform to encourage innovations, not hamper innovations.

I have created a page on the HPSDR Wiki to contain more information on
the project.  I have also been encouraging several programmers that are
most active in HPSDR development to be active in determining the outcome
to the components of this project.

http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=ATHENA

I hope the hear your ideas as the project develops, even more I hope
that you will consider helping either writing parts of the code or
preparing documentation.

Dave, KV0S