[hpsdr] Excalibur/PowerSDR/HPSDR behavior questions

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Nov 17 18:34:56 PST 2009

Dan:

John is correct.

The current and recent versions of both Mercury and Penelope
will free run in the absence of a reference clock.  There is no
indication or alarm
if they are not locked.  Even when free-running they seem to stay within
about 30
to 100 Hz of the indicated frequency.  If a 10 MHz signal is present on
Atlas bus line
C16, they will lock to it, whether it comes from Mercury, Penny, or an
external
source like Excalibur.

Just don't have multiple 10 MHz sources feeding the bus simultaneously.
I don't
think it will break anything, but it things will behave strangely.

Very early versions of the Mercury and Penelope software would lock up and
stop operation in the absence of a reference.

--- Graham / KE9H

==