[hpsdr] CPU board for HPSDR

Sheldon Hands as5770972 at sapo.pt
Fri Oct 16 09:28:08 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Aivars Straupe" <yl2gvc at inbox.lv>

> I want to start new discussion about CPU board for HPSDR.
> I found on internet few interesting solutions from www.compulab.co.il

> There are few problems with this solutions:
> 1.they are not cheap, I could say, expensive;
>    73!
> Aivars.

The problem is you are looking at industrial type motherboards and corperate
pricing.

If the Mini Itx motherboard format is small enough  (170mm x170MM) for you
then Intel, Asus etc offer consumer motherboards that are quite inexpensive.

I had hoped to finish my stand alone HPSDR with the DG945GCLF2 Dual core
N330 as detailed on the Wiki. However my birthday present from the Jnr Op
was in fact a  Mini Itx Intel 945GCLF single core N230 Atom board.

This N230 single core  is priced at 48 pounds including Vat in the UK and
the N330 dual core is 61 Pounds.

I am quite impressed with the little 230,  Its much faster than than my old
P4 Pentium 2.4Ghz machine  even with a full Windoze install!!!. This may in
part be due to the 64 bit and hyper threading.  Power SDR is using 38% at
192K, 20% at 96k and a meagre 10% at 48K. Its happy on normal process
priority and only maxes out at 68% when draging the tunning window.

I have fitted it all in a Midi tower the lower half is the Radio  with Atlas
with Oz ,Pen and Merc in the front quarter and a 100W amp with LPF/HPF in
the back. The top half has the Mini ITx fitted horizontal with PSU above  in
its normal posistion  and the normal front fitted trays and bays for HDD and
DVD.

I only finished the install an hour back  so lots more testing to do but
first impressions are very good.

Shel CT1IZU