[hpsdr] Windows 7

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Fri Oct 23 07:52:02 PDT 2009

While I cannot address point 1, but...

         There are certainly advantages to eventually moving to
Windows 7.. but is there any reason to jump at it in the near term???
No really great ones... sooner or later, yes, as XP is going out of
support at some point as has Win98 and Win2000 ..

I have found Windows 7 to be very stable as long as the sw was
Vista/Win 7 certified to start. I have found issues with 2 pieces of
software which are not as well supported and/or written and put the
brakes on using them... Both Commercial and Both Proprietary and both
internally supported by the vendor....

In general I have started migrating one of my primary desktops to
Win7 and most common SW for day to day stuff works fine as it has
most all been certified for Vista... which is the core of Win7....
Older software that was not Vista aware is more the issue....If the
installers were written to not load on anything newer than XP, they
tend to halt....

I have no real experience with operating Win7 and PowerSDR at this
time but I was able to get the firmware loading stuff running earlier
this year when beta's first popped up.. and it did run with some tweaking..

Doug
KD8B