[hpsdr] Mercury SSB Phase Noise Testing

Larry Gadallah lgadallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 12:10:03 PDT 2009

Ron, I'm glad you are doing some testing like this. I've been anxious to
find out what the performance of Mercury would be, although performance
testing of SDR's seems to be a new art and techniques used to test
"classic" receiver performance do not always produce meaningful results
for SDRs.

Ronald Cox wrote:

> All,
> I have been testing the SSB Phase noise on a random Mercury board and
> have posted the results at:
> http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Receiver_Performance_Tests
>
> Please let me know if you see any issues with the tests so far.

The only concern I have with the phase noise results is the lack of data
for carrier offsets beyond 1 kHz. The data presented so far would be
relevant for considering close-in CW QRM, but not SSB QRM that might be
several kHz away. Also, phase noise figures published for other
radios/VFOs often only quote the parameter at 10 kHz separation. My
understanding is that a good crystal oscillator or some of the old
tube-type VFOs could produce phase noise figures at 10 kHz of about -150
dBc/Hz or less.

Cheers,

--
Larry Gadallah, VE6VQ/W7         lgadallah AT gmail DOT com
PGP Sig: B5F9 C4A8 8517 82AC 16B6  02B6 0645 69F0 1F29 A512