[hpsdr] Mercury SSB Phase Noise Testing

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Oct 26 12:59:44 PDT 2009

Typically the phase noise of any SDR will simply be that of its DDS, which
can be extrapolated from the DDS's spec sheet for the clock and output
frequencies being used.  You can't measure it with an 8656B, as the
generator is far noisier than any DDS.

The best approach would be to simply use the receiver and FFT software to
look at a single tone from a clean crystal oscillator.  The result is the
phase noise response, less 10*log(BW) where BW is the bandwidth per bin,
plus a dB or two for the window function's noise response.

-- john, KE5FX