[hpsdr] Mercury SSB Phase Noise Testing

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Oct 26 13:56:56 PDT 2009

One thing to note is that IIRC the 10811A noise floor is spec'd to be
significantly lower than the 10544A.  However, both are probably "good
enough" for this purpose.

I did some phase noise tests on Penelope last year and the results are
at http://www.febo.com/pages/penny/penny-test_1-spectrumplot.png.

This was measuring against an ultra-low-noise Wenzel oscillator.

I'm not entirely happy with the test conditions when I did that
measurement, and I've been meaning to redo the test, also using
Excalibur to see if the impact of different 10 MHz references is
noticeable.  Perhaps I can do that this coming weekend.

Since Penny and Merc use the same type of 122.88 MHz oscillator, the
rsults should be comparable, subject to (a) noise contribution from
Penny's DAC and amplifier and (b) noise contribution from Merc's CORDIC
and ADC.

John
----