[hpsdr] Phoenix again

richardh at iinet.net.au richardh at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 31 23:45:16 PDT 2009

In fact doing a quick bit of reading it seems that I have made a number of
mistakes with the original design. (grr why didnt I do the reading before :))

Some of the mixer clock traces cross several sections of ground plane which are
digital and then analog. This is probably the source of the spurs that I have
had. It will probably be impossible to do this on a 2 layer board.

I think I also have to separate the quadrature generation from the FPGA = the
clock here should be treated as an "analog" signal = maybe the old Johnson
counter implemented in tinyLogic , with chip select for transmit and receive.

It seems more important (according to the articles = see
www.e2v.com/assets/media/files/documents/...data.../doc0999A.pdf and
www.einfochips.com/.../designers.../Grounding%20in%20Mixed%20Signal%20PCB.pdf) to
isolate both power and ground planes into digital and analog sections and run
traces that connect between them over a "bridge" between them than worry about a
connection at a single point.

I would be interested in comments

Richard

On Sun Nov  1 14:10 , "richardh at iinet.net.au"  sent: