[hpsdr] Hermes schematics

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun Sep 13 07:16:35 PDT 2009

A couple of comments/questions:

1) On Magister we added an STMicro DVIULC6 (Digikey 497-5237-1-ND)
transient suppression diode network on the USB -D and +D lines to help
protect the FX2.  Might be worth considering.

2) I see a pair of LM317 in series to drop +12V to +5V.  I assume this
is for heat purposes.  It'd sure be nice to get away from linear
regulators going from +12V all the way down to +1.2V.  I understand the
concern about switching regulator noise.

3) The cascaded OPA amplifiers for Penny I presume are to enable 0.5w
output with low IMD especially at 6m.  But I see no means to reduce
power output, except via the TxDAC.  Is the intent that power control be
handled by an off-board attenuator or somehow managed in the add-on
amplifier?

Looks like a very exciting project!

73,

Lyle KK7P