[hpsdr] OzyII status update

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Sep 30 10:57:25 PDT 2009

On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Larry Gadallah wrote:

> 2009/9/28 Andrea Montefusco <andrea.montefusco at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Michael Ardai wrote:
>>>
>>> ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
>>>
>>> Microchip sells tiny roms with mac addresses - 24AA02E48 is an i2c
>>> device available in a SOT23-5 or SO8
>>> /mike
>>
>> Great suggestion Mike;
>> these chips contain _real_ MAC addresses, assigned to Microchip by
>> IEEE
>>
>> 00-04-A3   (hex)                Microchip Technology, Inc.
>> 0004A3     (base 16)            Microchip Technology, Inc.
>>                               2355 W. Chandler Blvd.
>>                               Chandler AZ 85224
>>                               UNITED STATES
>>
>> some docs found at:
>>
>> http://techtrain.microchip.com/webseminars/UpdateHits.aspx?Type=P&Semid=200&Redir=http://techtrain.microchip.com/webseminars/documents/MacAddr_050509.pdf
>>

>> *am*
>
> I thought the common practice was to use MAC assignments that indeed
> reflect the vendor of the PHY, not of the whole system. For example, a
> Dell computer might have an Intel MAC address prefix because an Intel
> Ethernet chip is used to implement the Ethernet interface in the Dell
> computer. So, if OzyII were to use a Microchip interface, it would
> make sense for OzyII's to have Microchip MAC address prefixes.

Not on all machines.  For example, a Sun workstation will use the MAC
address as encoded on its PROM chip for every interface on the
computer whether the actual chip that's driving the ethernet is a Sun
HME, a Intel chip, or an AMD Lance Ethernet.  In this same vein, a
Macintosh will have a MAC based on the machine, not on the vendor of
the ethernet chip inside.  Even though my Macbook Pro has a Marvell
Ethernet controller, the MAC address prefix is Apple's, 00-17-F2.  The
only reason your assertion is true about PCs historically is that for
PCs the Ethernet isn't assumed to be there, and there was no way to
identify the computer by serial number by its other chips.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com