[hpsdr] [OT] thanks to Dan Babcock N4XWE

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Thu Apr 1 14:38:29 PDT 2010

I know that OpenHPSDR is really a big organization with many
talented individuals all making this sophisticated project
possible. I thank you all for sharing your skills and knowledge
with us plain-vanilla Hams out here :-)

I want to shout out a special *THANK YOU* to Dan Babcock N4XWE who
loaned me a Mercury + Ozy + Atlas so that I could get my feet wet
and begin to understand the value of investing in an HPSDR setup.
   Dan's generosity led me to Teamspeak one evening with Bill
Tracey KD5TFD. Bill helped me work through the totally opaque
world of using Ozy as a USBBlaster <g> Yikes! those were symptoms
and error messages that I would never have recognized. Bill nailed
it right away and set me on the right track to load a valid
VID/PID into Mercury.

 From there on it was a matter of familiarizing myself with the
amazing Java server/dspserver and jmonitor applications from John
Melton in the UK. John was *very* patient with my stupid Linux
questions and he encouraged me to move ahead at every bump in the
road.

Then it was on to the four (4) beautiful GUI applications for
controlling the Mercury in Windows and Linux.

Joe AB1DO has done an exceptional job with documentation. Dave
KV0S has been master of ceremonies on Teamspeak. The whole HPSDR
community has been just wonderfully helpful, patient, and positive
about this project.

Tomorrow I will extend my adventure into the installation of a
Penelope Tx board. This promises to be a giant leap forward to my
first DDC/DUC QSO. For me this is a personal milestone. For HPSDR
this is another happy experimenter with a lifetime of new
technologies to look forward to.

Dayton 2010 is right around the corner (6 short weeks) and it
promises to be a time of excitement and new announcements. Be sure
to stay tuned to the Italian Modena Hamfest April 10/11 where you
will be amazed at the SDR progress the talented Italian Engineers
are making.  One rumor is about a new DUC transmitter that will
blow your socks off :-)

*T-H-A-N-K  Y-O-U* Dan, Bill, Phil, Dave, Kevin, Scotty, George,
Hank, and all the kind souls who helped me achieve this level of
SDR fun.

Gods' many blessings for you all,
73 de Ken N9VV