[hpsdr] Dot Net Frameworks on Vista and Win7

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Tue Apr 13 10:52:17 PDT 2010

Dear All,
I've done some research on the machines that I have.  I no longer have a
Vista machine, but I have XP (32 bit) and Win7 in both x86 (32 bit) and x64
(64 bit) versions installed.

So Vista (and Win7) come with the DotNet Framework 1.1 already installed.
(another ham has already mentioned this possibility, which is correct.)

And there are two different installers for the DotNet Framework 2.0.  One is
for x86 (32 bit OS) and the other for x64 (64 bit OS).  If you choose the
wrong file/download for the version OS you have (let's say you are trying to
re-use a previously downloaded file...), you will experience failure.

True of both 64 and 32 bit versions of Win7:  If I go to 'Programs and
Features' in Control Panel, it does NOT show me that DotNet Framework 2.0 is
installed.  It does claim that DotNet Framework 1.1 is installed, however.

When trying to install DotNet Framework 2.0 on my win7 32 bit VM, I got a
'product already installed as part of the operating system' error.  When
trying to install the 64 bit DotNet Framework 2.0 on 32 bit win7, I got an
'error creating process' message in install.exe referencing 'advpack.dll'.

Now, moving over to the Win7 64 bit box, where I just also installed VS2010
(it was officially released yesterday):  attempting to run the 32 bit (x86)
DotNet Framework 2.0 installer results in a message saying the installer
isn't supported on a 64 bit (x64) machine.  Attempting to run the 64 bit
(x64) DotNet Framework 2.0 installer results in a 'product already installed
as part of the operating system' error.

So the correct installer for the OS results in being told that the Framework
2.0 is already installed 'as part of the operating system'.

I think these observations will account for the errors that you have seen.
Or at least rule a few out!

Vy 73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV

database 5026 (20100413) __________