[hpsdr] I/Q recording with "FLAC" compression

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Mon Apr 26 06:47:05 PDT 2010

In 2004 I was introduced to the wonders of "FLAC" compression by
Bob McGwier N4HY.

FLAC is located here: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

Bob introduced us all to this Open Source tool. FLAC is an
excellent candidate for I/Q real-time recording and compression
because it preserves the phase of the I/Q signals and is
"Lossless" (unlike many other compression methods).

I recently created a 16MB .wav file with WinRad from I2PHD. The
file plays back through WinRad with beautiful fidelity for all the
signals that were captured during the recording session.

Then I used Audacity to import the .wav file and export it as a
.FLAC file. The compression of FLAC changed the 16MB file to 2.5MB
!!!  Audacity is Open Source and is located here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

The FLAC file will not "play" with any SDR software, so I used
Audacity again to re-convert the FLAC file back to .wav and then
played it through WinRad to see that it retained the signal integrity.

I hope that the talented programmers in the OpenHPSDR group will
consider the Open Source FLAC compression for I/Q recording in the
future. While it may seem to be a bit rare and exotic, it
certainly does a magnificent job of compression for these
typically large I/Q files.  I see on the Perseus group that some
of the MW SWL listeners are recording hours of very wide bandwidth
selections that generate *Terabytes* of output .wav files.
Perhaps OpenHPSDR can attract members of this active community
with the alternative wonders of FLAC compression.

thank you for reading my email,
73 de Ken N9VV
--
if it's not CW it's CB