[hpsdr] [OT] TeamViewer for Linux

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Tue Apr 27 05:58:27 PDT 2010

Remote connections to other computers is always an interesting
topic. I was introduced to "TeamViewer" by Mario DG0JBJ who used
it from Germany to help me debug WinradHD on my WindowsXP machine.
Now there is a version for Linux. TeamViewer seems to have some
advantages over the traditional UltraVNC and TightVNC choices.

http://www.lockergnome.com/linux/2010/04/26/teamviewer-for-linux/

TeamViewer For Linux? is from Linux Fanatics.

Just a few months ago, trying to accomplish (secure) remote
desktop access to another computer, took a bit of planning and
setup. You either had to use SSH with X-Forwarding or perhaps SSH
through NoMachine.

Today there is another alternative, it’s called TeamViewer.
Designed originally for Windows and OS X, I was interested in
learning that they also produced a new beta ready to be used by
Linux enthusiasts.

As it turns out, the beta itself is the Windows version, tweaked
up a bit with WINE. But much to my amazement, it works like a rock
star on Ubuntu 9.10. Connecting to my desktop (dual screens) from
my notebook, I found that I was presented with a black screen. But
after adjusting the software’s resolution setting, it clear right up.

The advantages here include:
     * Zero port forwarding or router testing.
     * Connect to any platform.
     * Any odd resolution changes made to an Ubuntu host when
connecting to it, resolve upon reseting the computer.

all the best,
Ken

--
if it's not CW it's CB