[hpsdr] [OT] selling Unlicensed Transmitters

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Apr 19 17:58:02 PDT 2010

To more directly answer our question, Greg, external amplifier certification is covered under 47 CFR §97.315

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=00a9080b03dab6c50c715545d4f18042&rgn=div8&view=text&node=47:5.0.1.1.6.4.157.8&idno=47

Penelope isn't an "external RF power amplifier" -- so there is no requirement for certification.

I think that Pennywhistle would comply with §97.315(b)(3) because the amplifier is being sold to an amateur operator for use at the operator's station.  One could also argue that §97.315(b)(1) allows it because it's being constructed by an amateur for use at an amateur station.

But, this isn't legal advice.  Just a cursory look at the CFR by a law student.