[hpsdr] [OT] selling Unlicensed Transmitters

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Mon Apr 19 18:31:16 PDT 2010

On Apr 19, 2010, at 9:22 PM, Greg Clark wrote:

> Thanks Jeremy,
>
> That's what I was looking for on the amplifier side -- but even Penny is subject to some of these rules since it's power levels, even though modest, are high enough that it can't qualify as a Part 15 unlicensed transmitter.

But you're not operating Penny as a Part 15 unlicensed transmitter.  You're operating Penny as a Part 97 amateur transmitter.  It's just like your Elecraft K2 doesn't have to be type certified, unless you decide to operate it outside of your Part 97 authorization.  It has nothing to do with power levels, it has everything to do with how you're operating it.

I also think you're missing a word in there -- "external."  §97.315 only applies to external amplifiers.  Penny isn't external.  Any amplifier it has is internal to the device.  Look at 47 CFR §97.3(a)(18).  An external RF power amplifier is:

"A device capable of increasing power output when used in conjunction with, but not an integral part of, a transmitter.

Any amplifier that's on Penelope itself is an integral part of the transmitter.  Therefore it's not covered under the requirement under 47 CFR §97.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com