[hpsdr] Need help with vista 32-bit (sorry)

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Sat Apr 24 13:05:35 PDT 2010

Roger and Diana wrote:

> Hello Terry,
>
> As was mentioned, you need to be sure the correct driver for the
> software is installed.
>
> Also, on Vista, if data execution prevention (DEP) is enabled it will
> stop WinRAD and PowerSDR dead in there tracks and often times show
> bogus faults. At least this was the case on my VISTA machine and on
> Windows 7 64 bit. The good news is that I was able to get WinRAD, KISS
> and PowerSDR all to work with OZY/Mercury on the Vista machine (and
> the Windows 7) machine.
>
> I believe I set the properties on the executables to run as
> administrator and added them to the list of software under the DEP
> list. (The DEP list is found by right clicking Computer in the Windows
> run menu and then clicking properties. On the left select Advanced
> system settings, then select Settings in the first window
> (performance). The third tab to the right is the DEP tab, select it.
> Select "Turn on DEP for all programs except for those I have selected.
> Add WinRAD, etc. At this point Vista will ask for a reboot to make the
> changes requested.
>
> I have found that this makes some issues disappear under Vista. When
> in doubt for problems with known software packages, I add them to the
> list.
>
> I hope this is of some help.
>
> 73,
>
> Roger (N3AYY)

Thank you Roger and the others.  I will look at the above to make things
easier, and when I go to use the HPSDR with my new Win7 box.

I can report success, with a qualification:  I don't know exactly what I
did to get everything going!

My original problem was that I could not get the USBIO driver to load at
all under 32-bit Vista, the HPSDR USB would show up as an unidentified
device.  I remembered (or mis-remembered) that there were problems with
the USBIO driver with Vista when it first came out, and that the 64-bit
Vista had been fixed, but I thought there was still some magic necessary
to make the 32-bit Vista work.  the hardware worked fine on an XP
machine, so there never was a question there.

When I tried Alberto's Winrad, his WinUSB device showed up, but I could
not get Winrad to fire up, it would just ignore me.  KISS would load but
not start either.  Eventually, Winrad did start working, but I wanted
PSDR for transmit as well.  Between these, I spent a few days trying
everything that I could think of before posting.

I ended up removing ALL SDR software and drivers from the computer in
question, then starting over with the HPSDR "Quick Startup guide".  A
liberal amount of rebooting between steps and always using the old
F8/disable driver signing every reboot got me almost there.  The
computer still insisted on installing an unidentified device USB driver,
which of course failed.  But, I then did an update driver, pointing to
the correct one in the /Flexradio folder, and I finally got the right
device showing up in Device Manager and USBView.  Since then, I have
been able to run PSDR for HPSDR fine.  I have not tried Winrad or KKK
yet, as I don't want to mess with the working USBIO.

Again, thanks to all for the help.
Terry