[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Mon Aug 2 19:36:10 PDT 2010

Hi Pete, one of the most useful things you could do is to abandon C#. It
is a proprietary M$ language and is not portable to other platform.
Please consider C++/Qt or C++/GTK+ or Java with C as John Melton has
done. Perhaps you could select a portable IDE as well (like NetBeans. At
least then there is some hope of portability for the many MAC/LIN/WIN
members of OpenHPSDR.
----------------------------------
And then of course there is the Python/Qt engineering that Bob Cowdery
G3UKB has presented to us.
-----------------------------------
Dave KV0S has started the design of a software architecture for
OpenHPSDR. I assume you have read his wiki page:
http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=ATHENA
-----------------------------------
Of course you realize that John Melton also ported a data access channel
for us using the *gnuradio* modules. I believe this was a breakthrough
that could bring hundreds of USRP members into the OpenHPSDR camp. But
for some unexplained reason, John has not received any recognition for
his groundbreaking work. *Gnuradio-Companion* has a unique "Flow Graph"
language that is fascinating and seemingly very powerful. I do not see
any discussion or excitement about the delicious possibilities it presents.
Leif Asbrink <leif at sm5bsz.com> has shown a passing interest in OpenHPSDR
and that would give us an opening to his superb Linrad algorithms and
modules.
thank you for your consideration,
GN/GB
73 de Ken N9VV