[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Tue Aug 3 00:39:01 PDT 2010

Let's see if we can get Dave KV0S' Athena project going!

I'd like to nominate John Melton's ghpsdr3 server as one of the blocks
in a modular software system for HPSDR.  It's written in pure C, so can
potentially run on any OS.  With a few fixes it compiles both on Linux
and on Windows (Visual Studio).  It may be possible to port it to MinGW
on Windows.  (Does Net Beans do C / C++  ?)  The server takes care of
all the hardware-dependencies, and handles multiple simultaneous
receivers.  It does this by de-multiplexing the I & Q data stream sent
over the USB by Ozy, and sending the I&Q data to independent DSP modules
using UDP ethernet packets.  It recognizes a few commands that allow it
to send control data back to Mercury.  It also sends audio to Ozy /
Mercury for headphone / speaker output.

Potential improvements:  A few added commands would allow changing
Mercury's input attenuator, ADC random & dither options, and sample
rate. The audio output currently works for only Rx 0.  (For the moment
that's not a problem because jmonitor directs demodulated audio to the
computer's sound card output.)  There's some odd behavior if Rx 0 is not
the first one started.  Tx is currently not supported.

Are there situations or uses that would need something different?

I guess my 2nd nomination would be John's dspserver, that makes
available a lot of the functionality of the DttSP signal processing
package,  taking care of so many details of Rx and Tx for CW and SSB.  A
few improvements might be made here, too.  One is to generate CW Tx
samples directly (without FFT) as Phil does in KK.

What about modules for all the digital modes, for slow-scan, DRM, even
D-star (?) ?

There have been contributions to HPSDR from many.  One that comes to
mind is extra-long FFT sizes for work with really weak signals, and
increased spectrum display frequency resolution by W3SZ (Roger Rehr).
And, of course, PowerSDR does so much.  I'd see having a goal for HPSDR
software the ability to make all these capabilities available to anyone
interested in using them, regardless of OS.

I think platform portability is very desirable.  When there's no GUI
involved C or C++ is easy.  GUI is still a very sticky problem.  I have
yet to get anything written using Qt or GTK+ to compile on Windows.
That's maybe more a function of getting all the needed libraries to
compile / run on Windows.  Can we simplify somehow?

73,
Dave   wa8ywq