[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Tue Aug 3 04:38:30 PDT 2010

Hi Dave, your contribution to ghpsdr3 on Windows is *OUTSTANDING*. Thank
you from all 800 of the OpenHPSDR members :-)

Beginning in 2007, Phil Covington N8VB and Ms. Cathy Moss delivered a
C++/Qt control program called SDRMAX and another called Panoptos for
control of the QuickSilver QS1R DDC receiver. They were fully portable
and would easily compile with MinGW/OpenGL/Qt on Windows and Linux.
Their GUI was really cool. The use of OpenGL pushed the GUI load out to
the video card and made the whole system very efficient for small CPU
systems (mITX for example) and remote Internet users.  Panoptos is still
carried on an SVN. I do not understand it's copyright or GPL status.
N8VB later experimented with both the _Boost_ and _ICE_ libraries in a
effort to improve the Internet remote control performance of the base
program.  My QS1R was online for over a year and I logged listeners from
42 countries.

I wanted to add that the John Melton server does indeed have CLI
selections for steering the ADC Random and Dither. Here is part of the
README from the trunk/src folder:
server - a server implemented using libusb 1.0 sync API.

     server
         --receivers [1..8]
         --samplerate [48000|96000|192000]
         --dither [off|on]  <------------------------
         --random [off|on]  <------------------------
         --preamp [off|on]  <------------------------
         --10mhzsource [atlas|penelope|mercury]
         --122.88mhzsource [penelope|mercury]
         --micsource [janus|penelope]
         --class [other|E]

and from a Melton July 4th posting:
Here is his info for ghpsdr3:
----------------------------
ghpsdr by default sends the audio stream back to the server to be played
out through Mercury.  There are command line options to use the local
audio on the machine your are running on.

On 8/3/2010 2:39 AM, David McQuate wrote:
> Potential improvements: A few added commands would allow changing
> Mercury's input attenuator, ADC random & dither options, and sample
> rate. The audio output currently works for only Rx 0. (For the moment
> that's not a problem because jmonitor directs demodulated audio to the
> computer's sound card output.) There's some odd behavior if Rx 0 is not
> the first one started. Tx is currently not supported.

thank you for your seriously great port of the Melton code to Windows,
I do hope this discussion stimulates an expansion of the OpenHPSDR
programming.

Beginning in Q1/2011 we may see several new DDC/DUC units for sale. One
example is the tantalizing new "netSDR" from RFSpace
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Uh0hQK83A)

The pressure is increasing to have portable code for the OpenHPSDR
hardware project if we want to remain an attractive experimental
platform for the future.

thank you for reading my email,
73 de Ken N9VV