[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 11:21:01 PDT 2010

> I think platform portability is very desirable.  When there's no GUI
> involved C or C++ is easy.  GUI is still a very sticky problem.  I have yet
> to get anything written using Qt or GTK+ to compile on Windows.  That's
> maybe more a function of getting all the needed libraries to compile / run
> on Windows.  Can we simplify somehow?

Java works well for portable GUIs.

The best design practice is to completely separate the GUI from the
processing logic.  If the processor and GUI talk over a socket then
you gain several things
1) The two sides are independent programs and each can be written in a
programming language that makes sense for the task
2) Sockets can connects programs on the same computer or across anetwork

As computers get more powerful and cheaper, some day you will be able
to hang the DSP computer on the antenna and connect it back to the GUI
using a fiber optic network cable.

The idea is not new there are already several Java based GUI front
ends for dttsp

--
=====
Chris Albertson