[hpsdr] HPSDR software direction

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Aug 4 22:45:48 PDT 2010

Just my 2c worth.

Not being a programmer I have the advantage of not fully understanding all
the problems:)

My simple view of the world is this.

We build a cross platform DSP server that provides data to/from  a GUI
over UDP/IP. For all I know John Melton's existing server could be the
starting point.

The clever folks that enjoy working on DSP code can continue to
improve/refine etc this over time.  Whenever they change or add something
the UDP/IP protocol document gets updated.

The server can interface to whatever SDR hardware is available. One of the
commands over UDP would be "tell me what hardware you are connected to and
what features you support".

For those folks that want to play with GUI's they can build their own on
whatever operating system and graphics package they like. If they don't
want to they never have to go near the DSP code.

There can be a 'GUI for the masses' that is written in some cross
platform, free, graphics program such as Qt 4.6. Many could contribute to
this - just like the early days of PowerSDR.

With my limited programming skills I'm pretty sure that I could read/write
UPD/IP data from such a server and write a half decent GUI to talk to it.

All this assumes we can still do full break-in CW - but we can test that
very early on.

OK - simplistic view full of holes - fire away!

73's Phil...VK6APH