[hpsdr] Optimising Dell PC for PowerSDR

Luke Steele mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Thu Aug 5 06:42:53 PDT 2010

While I'm on the blower, I'll ask about the situation where I am sometimes
experiencing dropouts with PowerSDR.
Hardware is Magister/Mercury/Penelope. Firmware was upgraded to the latest
on the SVN last month.
PC is a Dell Optiplex GX-620 with a P4/3GHz processor and 1GB RAM. Using
onboard video. (I have a video card to try in the morning to see if that
helps.) Using PowerSDR v 1.19, but no better than when using 1.10.
I have tried the different sampling rates in the audio setting, but no
noticeable improvement on 48 kHz over 96 or 192 kHz.
The CPU usage seems to remain below 50%, even when the dropouts occur.
On phone modes, the quality is quite ok, with very few pops.
On CW it is unacceptable, the dropouts are really distracting.
Turning off the Panadaptor seems to allow clean operation - but then it is
like going back to operating a 20th Century radio!
I like to run Ham Radio Deluxe, for the excellent logging facility and
other operating aids.
Reading FAQ on the Flex Radio site, it refers to issues with HP and Dell
machines.
Does anyone have some tips to address the Dellian roadblocks and optimise
what I have?
I would rather not just purchase more PC grunt and end up with yet another
obsolescent item hanging around the shack.
I don't particularly like computers - they are just a tool to me - I just
want to sharpen this one.
Thanks,
Luke VK3HJ