[hpsdr] Hermes

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu Aug 5 11:19:30 PDT 2010

  On 8/5/10 10:55 AM, Dick Faust wrote:

> Lots of discussion so here is my 2 cents worth.
>
> I would go with Ethernet if the noise level can be controlled to an
> acceptable level.  I agree it would be nice if the USB-2 interface
> could remain and what about USB-3  which is just coming out.

Hermes is a small system, not an expandable experimenter's system like
Atlas-based modules.

I prefer USB2 and forgo Ethernet on Hermes for the moment.

A Gig-E-based Hermes can always be developed later.  USB2 is here, it
works, noise is manageable, software exists and runs...  ALl we need is
the release of workign hardware designs including PCB and we;re already
good to go.

> I also think support for 10-100-1000 speeds whether automatic or by
> jumper should be available.

10 megabit Ethernet is too slow for much of anything with streaming
audio.  USB 1.1 is limited for the same reasons.  OK for an endpoint,
but probably not terribly useful for the data source 9Hermes).

100 megabit Ethernet also has much less bandwidth than USB2, but
supporting it makes sense for low bandwidth applications.

Just random thoughts,

Lyle KK7P