[hpsdr] Hermes

Ahti Aintila oh2rz.sdr at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 12:47:32 PDT 2010

Lyle, All,

In my case and in my hamshack it is very difficult to avoid
groundloops between the computer, SDR hardware, power amplifiers and
the antenna grounding. With 7 years experience with SDR-1000 and
unisolated USB the connection seems to be sensitive to common mode
interferences coming from mains power transients and induced RF power.
As a result the USB communication stalls now and then, and the system
has to be rebooted to get it functioning again.

That is a nuisance, especially in my 24/7 Faros monitoring system.
Isolated Ethernet possibly would correct the situation. For the most
common applications of Hermes, 100 MHz Ethernet should be fast enough,
but I have nothing against 1 GHz.

Ahti OH2RZ