[hpsdr] Penelope Firmware Upgrade: "Programming hardware cable not detected"

Jack Speer speerj at buck.com
Tue Aug 10 12:53:05 PDT 2010

Hi,

   Penelope is in J6, Magister is in J5.  Nothing else is installed.

   When I power up the radio I do hear the USB device detected
sound.   In Device Manager I see "LibUSB-Win32 Devices", and "OZY
Host Assisted Firmware Load", the driver version for that is 0.1.12.1.

   Here is the sequence of events (I'm on Windows 7 32-bit:)

-Turn on radio
-Run Command Prompt as Administrator
-Run Program-Penelope-EPCS4.bat
-Hear several USB insert/remove sounds, various message scroll by in
the command prompt (all look ok but I can send if needed.)
-Windows pops up the Found New Hardware window.  I ignore it at this
point (correct?)
-Batch file asks what version of Quartus, I answer 8, which is Quartus 10.0.
-Batch file asks what version of Penelope, I answer B, Penelope_v1.2
-Within a second or two receive error message in red type "Error:
Programming hardware cable not detected"

73,

Jack N1BIC