[hpsdr] Penelope Firmware Upgrade: "Programming hardware cable not detected"

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Aug 10 12:58:25 PDT 2010

Jack --

I think you're missing the part where you load the USB Blaster into the FX2 chip.  See "Preparation" from the "Quick Start Guide:"

3. THE FIRST TIME YOU UPGRADE
The following procedure loads a USB Blaster capability into your Ozy. This makes it possible to update the firmware on your other HPSDR boards without purchasing additional programming hardware. Once the Ozy/USB Blaster firmware has successfully loaded, you should not have to repeat this step.
a. Connect just your Ozy board to the Atlas bus, connect the USB cable and power it on.
b. Run the file usbblaster.bat. This will load the code in the FX2 to make it appear to be an Altera USBblaster.
c. Windows will detect a new USB device. You need to install the drivers for it. Click here for driver installation instructions. What you need can be found in section 1.3.
d. The Found New Hardware Wizard will open.
Select Install from a list or specific location and browse to C:/altera/[installed version]/qprogrammer/drivers/usb-blaster. The Wizard will then install Altera USB-Blaster
Check that the drivers have installed correctly by looking in Start\Control Panel\System\Hardware\Device Manager\Universal Serial Bus controllers there should be an entry marked Altera USB-Blaster

I think the "first time you upgrade" is a little misleading.  I believe you need to run usbblaster.bat every time you intend to do programming.  It loads the necessary FX2 firmware.