[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

andrea montefusco andrea.montefusco at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 10:05:19 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Alberto I2PHD <i2phd at weaksignals.com> wrote:

> ... who will consider switching to
> Linux only the day when Ubuntu will allow me to login as root without interfering...
> I just want to be able to drag and drop files belonging to root from one directory to
> another using the mouse, or to edit one of them using Kate.  The various sudo or
> su commands are of no help for this.... you must be logged in as root....

For experienced *nix users only: if you want to circumvent the
security setup on Ubuntu (GNOME), here are the instructions:

Ubuntu 8.04LTS:
http://www.ardoros.com/2008/07/how-to-login-as-root-on-ubuntu.html
Ubuntu 10.04LTS:
http://blog.ask4itsolutions.com/2010/05/21/login-as-a-root-from-gui-ubuntu-10-04-lts/

after that you are able to login as root, both from GUI and from
command line in text mode,
though do not blame me if you do some damage :-)

  *am*

PS: Alberto just told me that he is using Ubuntu KDE and that, in such
case, he had to edit the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc changing

AllowRootLogin=false

in

AllowRootLogin=true