[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Thu Aug 5 14:24:17 PDT 2010

On 8/5/2010 10:43 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
> That will never happen on a un-modified out of the box system.  In
> fact you can't do this on MS Windows or Mac OS X either.   No OS will
> let one user copy files that belong to another user, let alone files
> that belong to an administrative user.   Solaris, Linux, Windows XP,
> VMS, none of them allow this

Well, under Windows, if my current user is defined as Administrator, and
the UAC is disabled, I can do that.
The same under Linux, the only problem is that Ubuntu does not allow you
to be an administrator (root).... that's the main problem....
They think that I could hurt myself.... I use Windows since 25 years,
always running as an administrator, with
full privileges of potentially destroying everything, but those 25 years
have passed without that happening...
But now the assemblers of the Ubuntu distro think they are smarter than
me... please let the root user disabled
as default, but give clear and detailed instructions on how to re-enable
it....

But thanks to another member of this group now I have those instructions...

http://www.sizlopedia.com/2008/04/16/how-to-login-to-ubuntu-as-root-user/

> You can't believe how many
> used dragged the "system" folder to the trash.  Not much worked after
> that.  Modern OSes prevent you from doing things like that.

Modern OSes should _*double warn*_ me against that, but not completely
disable me from doing that... this
is my concept of freedom... if I want to destroy _*MY*_ PC, I should be
able (after having received a warning)
to do that, if so I did choose... I don't like to be hand-held when I
walk my way...

73  Alberto  I2PHD