[hpsdr] Software direction for openHPSDR...

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 13:43:53 PDT 2010

> I just want to be able to drag and drop files belonging to root from one directory to
> another using the mouse, or to edit one of them using Kate.  The various sudo or
> su commands are of no help for this.... you must be logged in as root....

That will never happen on a un-modified out of the box system.  In
fact you can't do this on MS Windows or Mac OS X either.   No OS will
let one user copy files that belong to another user, let alone files
that belong to an administrative user.   Solaris, Linux, Windows XP,
VMS, none of them allow this

But you can of course change this.  Simply open up file permissions
then all this protection is disabled.   Or you can use a file system
that does not have permission.  The DOS or FAT file system allows what
you want.

But be careful what you ask for.  OSes have been designed this way for
40+ years for good reason.

There was a time many years ago in the 1980's when an old version of
Mac OS allowed you to do what you ask.   You can't believe how many
used dragged the "system" folder to the trash.  Not much worked after
that.  Modern OSes prevent you from doing things like that.

But if that is what you want this will give it to you
chmod -R 777 /*
Do a good backup first.