[hpsdr] Step 1 Question

Frank Brickle brickle at pobox.com
Thu Aug 12 07:33:15 PDT 2010

Hi Phil --

A client can get it either way:

(1) As a single narrowband channel, at a sample rate appropriate to the
channel bandwidth;
(2) As a set of multiple narrowband channels, all baseband, that fully
decompose the input bandwidth.

So (1) reduces the number of bits on the wire to the client. (2) is the full
firehose of input bandwidth, but shuffled and decomposed into subchannels
and addressable in a convenient way.

73
Frank
AB2KT

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 12:57 AM, Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Thanks for the heads-up, most interesting.
>
> A question:
>
> > (2) What a server sends to clients as IF are *channels*, generally
> > sub-channels of some broader-bandwidth sampled RF. The channels can all
> be
> > thought of as selected sub-bands of the full bandwidth. They are
> specified
> > in terms of center frequency, bandwidth, and time. So what a client asks
> > for, and gets, is always baseband with respect to a specified frequency,
> > and
> > narrowband with respect to the full, upstream RF bandwidth.
> >

> Will the I&Q data for the channel that I'm connected to be sampled at an
> appropriate rate, based on the channel bandwidth, or at a fixed rate as is
> presently implemented?
>
> 73's Phil...VK6APH

Does anyone doubt that once a society ceases to be able to afford schools,
public transit, paved roads, libraries and street lights -- or once it
chooses not to be able to afford those things in pursuit of imperial
priorities and the maintenance of a vast Surveillance and National Security
State -- that a very serious problem has arisen, that things have gone
seriously awry, that imperial collapse, by definition, is an imminent
inevitability? -- Glenn Greenwald