[hpsdr] Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Dec 24 00:53:32 PST 2010

This is more of a "thanksgiving" post I guess, but:

Thanks to Phil once again for his hard work on the hardware, firmware, and with his copious amounts of sage-like advice.  It's gotta be hard being the "heart and soul" of the project in a lot of ways, and he handles it with grace and style.

Thanks to Kevin and the rest of the hardware team for all of their design prowess.  I'm continually amazed at what this project manages to get to work in an age where home-brewing and manufacturing increasingly tiny electronic equipment becomes more difficult.

Thanks to KV0S-Dave for keeping us all corralled on friday nights and shepherding the wiki.  It's probably not as appreciated and glamorous a job as spearheading Metis, or releasing ghpsdr v47.0, but it's certainly necessary for the continued growth of the project.

Thanks to Bill for his constant prodding about the evils of the Jobsian Empire and providing a sounding board for my more insane ideas.

Thanks to John Melton for his lightning pace of innovation on alternative platforms, his work on the Metis bootloaders, and providing me a cattle prod to the rear to speed up my glacial pace of coding.  I'm continually amazed at how fast he's able to get working code written out and released to the hungering masses.  I fully expect ghpsdr v5.0 to be released late this year sometime.

Thanks to Scotty, Dan, Nona and the rest of the TAPR manufacturing team.  Even though Alex still isn't in anyone's grubby hands, one frustration out of so many boards produced is really a pretty good record.  The way Scotty takes the abuse with a chuckle and a smile is a testament to his character.

Thanks to George for continuing to challenge my bold assertions and making me think over things again.  Having such a discussion is always useful to shaking out the "right way" to do things in my head.

It's been ten months since I released the first version of MacHPSDR that only produced noise out of Mercury's audio port, and what a strange trip it's been.  I've since spoken at Dayton, Microhams and the DCC on the subject, and shown off my radio to many more folks.  It has been a great project to be a part of for that period of time, not only because of the technology to explore, but also because of the people that I've met and interacted with along the way.  The community around OpenHPSDR right now is great and I hope that it continues long into the future.  Since I'm going to be expected to be at Dayton for the next three years for TAPR board meetings, I sincerely hope to meet more of you as time goes on.

Happy holidays to everyone, and my best wishes for a happy, prosperous, and SDR filled new year.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com