[hpsdr] An idea for a project

John Melton john.d.melton at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 27 01:59:56 PST 2010

Hi Paul,

my ghpsdr3 project splits the software into 3 parts.

A hardware server which interfaces to the HPSDR hardware (or Softrock,
etc) and handles sending commands to set frequency, etc and splits the
I/Q samples for multiple receivers into separate UDP streams.

A DSP server which handles all the DSP processing.

Client interfaces.

All 3 communicate with each other over the network using UDP/TCP so can
run on separate machines.

The client can be as simple or as complex as required.  I have simple
clients for Android and iPhone, Java client for embedding in a web page
or running standalone and a Qt 4 client.  All the clients can run across
the internet.

How about a client with a display and real switches and knobs?

I am hoping to be able to get the hardware server code running on a soft
core processor in the FPGA on Metis.

An interesting development is the new Intel Atom processor combined with
an Altera FPGA on a single chip.  No need for a soft core processor.

Regards,

John g0orx/n6lyt