[hpsdr] MacHPSDR 0.1.0

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sat Feb 20 04:14:48 PST 2010

As I said on TeamSpeak tonight, I wanted to release something for people to play with this weekend.  Please understand a few things though:

1.  This is heavy development code.  Nothing is well tested, and there are probably a lot of things that are far from perfect.
2.  There is no transmit capability right now.
3.  There is no bandscope.
4.  There is no subreceiver.
5.  Some of the digital filters are not wired in yet.
6.  Performance of some things will leave a lot to be desired.

I've made a few changes since the last time I made an announcement:

1.  There is a panadapter that works fairly well.  It does not scroll and does not have accurate frequency marks.  It also does not have click-to-tune capability yet.

2.  There is a waterfall display that doesn't work so well.  It lags significantly behind real-time.  I will be working with this more, and trying to implement it in OpenGL instead.  It does not scroll nor has click-to-tune capability.

3.  I have written an integral firmware loader.  The executable ships with internal copies of Ozy_Janus.rbf and ozyfw-sdr1k.hex so you don't have to go find them.  You also will not need to run any permutations of initozy, loadFW, or loadFPGA to get it working.  An interesting thing about implementing it on IOKit is that I was able to get rid of the blind sleeps in loading firmware.  IOKit allows you to register a callback for when a device you are interested in shows up on the system.  So, this callback fires when Ozy becomes available again after you load the FX2 firmware.  This means we can immediately start loading the FPGA code, and go about our way.  For those of you using my ghpsdr, I will probably release a cleaned up version of a prototype standalone application for loading the firmware.  You'll be able to double-click and load Ozy with it.

4.  I have added the Sparkle Updater code to the bundle (http://sparkle.andymatuschak.org/).  This will allow me to push updates to folks and have you automatically reminded when there's one waiting.  You've probably seen this same code in other apps if you're a Mac user.

5.  Added a custom "About" dialog box.  The box shows the versions of Ozy, Mercury, and Penelope.

You can get a binary distribution from http://www.nh6z.net/MacHPSDR/MacHPSDR.zip

The entire XCode project is checked into my SVN repository at https://www.xenotropic.com/ham-svn/MacHPSDR
--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)