[hpsdr] new 100W AMP from Germany on eBay

Mark J Dulcey mark at buttery.org
Sun Feb 7 12:49:28 PST 2010

On 2/7/2010 3:36 PM, Chris Smith wrote:

> Erm ... It seems to me that this is rather expensive compared to the 140W kit from Communications Concepts for $96 without heatsink (extra $23). Admittedly that doesn't cover 6M&  requires 5-10w input for full output but a lot less money. Even taking into account the cost of Pennywhistle to raise the 0.5 w to the required input level it's still expensive and the shipping at $115 is ridiculous. Not for me - I'm retired and saving my pennies for Alex.

A bit of apples and oranges. Besides working with less power input, the
German kit includes all the low pass filtering for multiple bands, T/R
switching, and automatic band switching that is controllable by SDR
software. The Communications Concepts amplifier does not include any of
those things.

I'm not sure where you got the $115 shipping number from; the eBay
listing shows free shipping to the US. I believe that number actually
reflects VAT, not shipping costs; the listing says that the shipping to
Europe price includes VAT. $115 would be about 20.5% tax based on the
US$561.94 price that eBay shows me.

This is not an inexpensive kit, but the design certainly looks clean,
the components look adequate for the intended power level, and it should
integrate well with the HPSDR design to make a capable 100W transceiver.
I don't think it's unreasonably priced for what you get, but individuals
will have to make their own judgments of value.