[hpsdr] HPSDR CW ops please comment

Willi Reppel wi.re at telia.com
Mon Feb 8 08:39:32 PST 2010

Hi Ken,
I use both, PowerSDR and Kiss V1.0.6 console for key-ing.Others have already
commented your post in depth. However, it remains to be mentioned that KISS
console  uses the Mercury receiver as CW-monitor and it lacks yet a native
built-in keyer. Monitoring with Mercury is probably a useful improvement for
SSB mode but in CW I have not found yet optimal settings for gain control
because the agc of Mercury is affected by the strength of the transmitted
signal, creating annoying audio pops in the monitor. Kiss lacks yet an
independent audio gain control for the CW monitor which is a useful feature
of PowerSDR´s console.
Said latency sets evidently an upper limit to CW speed. A skilled high speed
CW operator tried once to key 35-40 wpm on my setup but he lost his pace and
gave up because he could not  key with some milliseconds of latency. I told
him about the possibility to use an external keyer with own  monitor like
Win-keyer together with HPSDR.
vy 73 es gl de
SM6OMH  Willi