[hpsdr] Broken Pennywhistle any ideas ?

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Feb 16 19:13:34 PST 2010

Steve:

Are you running the Pennywhistle off 12 Volts?  For rated power output,
it should
be running off the 13.8 Volts supply, not the 12 Volt regulated supply,
and it should not
draw anything through the LPU.

As long as you have some kind of load on the output, 100 percent drive
from Penelope
should not hurt PennyWhistle.

With the pots fully counter-clockwise, Pennywhistle should not be
drawing any
significant current.  With the pots fully counter-clockwise, what DC
voltage do
you have on the gates? Measure at the bypassed end of the 56 Ohm resistors.
Should be about 2 Volts.  A good FET should not start conducting until more
than 2.5 Volts on the Gate, and should be drawing the desired 450 mA
quiescent
current with about 4.7 to 5.1 Volts on the gate.

--- Graham / KE9H

==