[hpsdr] Info: Melton java experiment a success

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Sun Jan 17 08:53:20 PST 2010

Hi, I wanted to be sure that John Melton G0ORX/N6LYT receives the
HPSDR list recognition that he deserves.

John has been experimenting with various Java items in his SVN
branch and trunk. He and I had a very fine connection between his
full featured GUI in the UK and my desktop here in Chicago on
January 5th. I posted a picture on my webpage http://www.n9vv.com

Then John alerted me to a brand new java experiment called the
"jmonitor". I believe his goal was to investigate how many
receivers he could operate simultaneously over a moderate network
connection.

"jmonitor" is was first tested between the UK and Chicago last
Tuesday. I was totally astonished to see a nice panadapter white
line wiggling away on a black background in a java window on BOTH
my WinXP machine and on my Ubuntu Linux box. John used "NetBeans"
from Sun Microsystems as his IDE and it worked very smoothly on
both platforms. "jmonitor" is a very basic window which is perfect
for testing.

Then on Thursday, John contacted me with a new release of jmonitor
that INCLUDED FULL AUDIO of the demodulated station that I was
tuned to. It was like using a REAL RADIO, but thousands of miles
apart over the Internet.

I even managed to make a .mp4 video/audio movie to commemorate the
event:
http://www.n9vv.com/Images/Windows-7-2010-01-16_1219.mp4

John included several features such as Mode and Bands and mouse
wheel tuning. He is a prolific programmer and he is very kind to
share it with us all.  I was able to verify operation on WinXP,
Windows-7(32), and Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) on a mITX.

I believe John will reach his multi-receiver network goal very
soon. Since he has chosen Java as his development base, the code
should run on a great variety of platforms (MAC/LIN/WIN/????).

Thank you John for allowing us to participate in your testing.

OpenHPSDR is a wonderfully busy place these days. Watch for lots
of news about "Hermes", "Apollo", the K.I.S.S. console, and other
projects that are breaking through the snow before Spring! :-)

thank you to all the creative inventors and engineers who are
sharing so much fun with us all.

73 de Ken N9VV