[hpsdr] Pennywhistle bias adjustment

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Thu Jan 7 06:19:30 PST 2010

Geoff wrote:

> Hi Guys,
> 	I'm presently trying to set the bias on my recently assembled pennywhistle. I
> am getting a "basic" current of only 8.2mA
About right. That is the 6 Volt regulator, and the load from the two pots.
> and I'm finding the reaction to
> pot movement a little odd. For the first 30 odd degrees of pot movement i get
> no reaction at all.
Also normal.  The FETs do not conduct until you reach their "threshold"
around 2.5 Volts on the gate,
then they start to conduct.  500 ma will typically be with around 4.8 to
5.1 Volts on the gate, and
6 Volts on the gate will be several amperes.  You can look at the
manufacturer's spec sheets
to see the typical bias curve.

>  After that I get a nominal reaction from both pots but it
> is a bit touchy. How precise (how even?) do you need to be in setting the
> bias with this little beast? :-).

If you are within five (or ten) percent of the desired values, it will
work fine.  The current will also
rise up to another ten percent with a hot heatsink.

--- Graham / KE9H