[hpsdr] Excalibur checkout

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 10 10:50:09 PST 2010

Jeff:

Yes, you must verify that the local AM station is on frequency.  I think
they
only need to be within 10 Hz to meet their license requirement,
although most are much better.

Your clip shows about one Hz difference at 660 kHz.  Well within the
station's
legal requirement, and really not good enough to use to set your oscillator.

You must realize that the error scales with frequency. 1 Hz error at 1 MHz
is 10 Hz at 10 MHz. The higher the frequency station you use to set
frequency
(assuming it is on frequency), the more accurate (percentage error wise)
your
setting will be.  WWV at 5, 10, 15, or 20 MHz are ideal, if you have a
reasonably
strong signal.

The goal is to set within one Hz at 10 MHz, however that scales for your
available reference frequency.

--- Graham

==