[hpsdr] Excalibur checkout

Jim Keeth af9a at arrl.net
Mon Jan 11 06:53:05 PST 2010

Jeff,

I've gone through some of the same frequency adjustment techniques as
you're doing.  A couple of things I discovered...

1.  Some AM radio stations are GPS referenced and some are not.  K5CM
on his web site (www.k5cm.com) has some stations listed in the TX, OK
area.  I confirmed that WLW on 700kHz in Cincinnati is GPS
referenced.  For best results, you need to be able to receive these
during on the day on ground wave.    You can also check strong
stations in your area.  If the phase vector on the PowerSDR is
rotating the same direction at about the number or rpm, these
stations are likely GPS referenced.  They may even respond to an
email to confirm that.

2.  I've found using WWV on one of the higher frequencies is about
the easiest and a fraction of a Hz error at 15MHz is a lot smaller
percentage than it is at the AM broadcast band.  Doing your WWV
calibration during the middle part of the day works best.

73,
Jim AF9A